Friday, August 27, 2010

LAUNDRY ANYONE?

DRAFT HORSES & WATERMELON
Set yourself back in time a few years and enjoy the beauty of a perfect day on an Amish farm. We travel about 20 minutes from our apartment in order to purchase some of the most delectable fruits and vegetables anywhere. Watermelon are so big, juicy and sweet, one needs to sit on the lawn, bust one open and sit for an hour devouring it's heavenly juices. I tried to pick one up last week and it was too big for me to lift comfortably.




Now here is a day's work for any woman or household of women. This is Amish country and we often see the efforts of hard working, fast moving Amish men and women in their daily chores. To you ladies I would say, no more whimping about doing laundry in a nice washing machine and dryer. This if a full's day's work for these women, from morning til night. Until recent years I have always had Mark build me a clothes line to hang the large items such as sheets, towels, diapers (back in those days) etc. I loved hanging clothes and the smell and nostalgia they bring with them, if the days were balming and warm. However, I am very, very happy and thankful to have modern equipment and appliances in my home. Even running donwstairs and paying high rates to do a batch of laundy beats this, especailly when the days begin to get cold.
There will be more to come on this blog at some point of our mission. Mission work is moving along, we are not as busy as we were a month ago. But it is starting to pick up again for September and October. It is wonderful to be here and we are anxiously awaiting October when we will have three sets of company. Lucky us! We hope to work our schedule so we can spend a few hours with people we like and love.





2 comments:

  1. Yeah, I can't even imagine doing my laundry by hand. One thing's for sure--we wouldn't have near as many clothes as we do now! I would make sure of it.
    Love the pictures Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who even NEEDS clean clothes, is what I say (when I'm Amish).

    ReplyDelete